Individuals and Ensembles 2022
Fancy yourself as the next Star of the Marching Arts?
BYBA and TYMBA's joint Individuals and Ensembles (I&E) competition is your chance to stand up and show the rest of the banding world what you're capable of. Film yourself playing your favourite piece of music, or performing your best guard routine, and send us the video and an entry form.
You can either enter via your band or submit your entries directly to us - there is no charge to enter. We are also welcoming entries from bands that are not members of either association.
On the 26th November, we will broadcast all the entries on our Facebook page. There will be a short break for the judges to confer, then the results will be announced.
Each entrant will receive a certificate of participation. If you win your class, you will also receive a shiny BYBA medal!
Entries close at 11.59pm on the 13th November.
For further information, please contact IandE@byba.online.
- This is a showcase for members of marching bands in the UK. Marching bands do not
need to be members of BYBA or TYMBA to participate
- All competitors must be bona-fide members of the organisation or ensemble that they
- The minimum age for a competing member is six. There is no maximum age
- Age is the competitor’s age on 31 August 2022. This is to facilitate ensembles within one
- A competitor may enter as many categories as they wish, but may only enter once in
- All entries must be made on the official Entry Form, which should be emailed to
- Once your entry form has been sent, upload your entries here! For admin purposes, it would greatly assist us if the filename of your entries could be in the format "[Band]-[Performer]-[Class]". Thanks!
- Ensembles must have a minimum of four members. There is no maximum limit.
Ensembles may have a conductor
- "Wind" categories can be brass, woodwind or a combination of brass and woodwind
- "Percussion" categories can be drums, tuned percussion or a combination of tuned and
- "Fanfare" may include two optional percussionists, a conductor and can include timpani
and handheld cymbals
- "Mixed ensembles" may include any combination of brass, woodwind and percussion
- "Entertainment" is open to anyone of any age and to any size of group. There are no
restrictions on what may be performed
- The organisers reserve the right to combine similar categories if there are insufficient
entrants. Affected entrants will be informed in advance
- Backing tracks can be used in all categories
- The minimum length of performance is 1 minute
- The maximum length of performance is 4 minutes
- Wind and percussion entrants will be judged on a) content and b) achievement
- Guard entrants will be judged on a) design and b) performance
- "Entertainment" will be judged by a panel made up of audience members
There is no charge to enter I&E this year.
- A1 - Brass Solo 10 & Under
- A2 - Brass Solo 14 & Under
- A3 - Brass Solo 18 & Under
- A4 - Brass Solo Over 18
- B1 - Woodwind Solo 10 & Under
- B2 - Woodwind Solo 14 & Under
- B3 - Woodwind Solo 18 & Under
- B4 - Woodwind Solo Over 18
- C1 - Drum Solo 10 & Under
- C2 - Drum Solo 14 & Under
- C3 - Drum Solo 18 & Under
- C4 - Drum Solo Over 18
- D1 - Mallet Solo 10 & Under
- D2 - Mallet Solo 14 & Under
- D3 - Mallet Solo 18 & Under
- D4 - Mallet Solo Over 18
- E1 - Bugle Solo 10 & Under
- E2 - Bugle Solo 14 & Under
- E3 - Bugle Solo 18 & Under
- E4 - Bugle Solo Over 18
- F1 - Guard Solo 10 & Under
- F2 - Guard Solo 14 & Under
- F3 - Guard Solo 18 & Under
- F4 - Guard Solo Over 18
- G1 - Wind Duo/Trio 10 & Under
- G2 - Wind Duo/Trio 14 & Under
- G3 - Wind Duo/Trio 18 & Under
- G4 - Wind Duo/Trio Over 18
- H1 - Percussion Duo/Trio 10 & Under
- H2 - Percussion Duo/Trio 14 & Under
- H3 - Percussion Duo/Trio 18 & Under
- H4 - Percussion Duo/Trio Over 18
- I1 - Guard Duo/Trio 10 & Under
- I2 - Guard Duo/Trio 14 & Under
- I3 - Guard Duo/Trio 18 & Under
- I4 - Guard Duo/Trio Over 18
- J1 - Wind Ensemble 14 & Under
- J2 - Wind Ensemble All Ages
- K1 - Percussion Ensemble 14 & Under
- K2 - Percussion Ensemble All Ages
- L1 - Guard Ensemble 14 & Under
- L2 - Guard Ensemble All Ages
- M1 - Mixed Ensemble 14 & Under
- M2 - Mixed Ensemble All Ages
- N - Fanfare All Ages
- O - Entertainment