We are excited to launch our virtual online Individuals and Ensembles Competition to be held on Saturday 21st November 2020.
To enter the competition, please download and complete the application form. Email completed forms to email@example.com.
Closing date for entries is 7pm on 14th November 2020.
Rules are further down this page.
More details will follow shortly on how to submit your videos.
|BRASS||BRASS||WIND||R All ages|
|A1. 10 & under||G1. 10 & under||M1. 14 & under|
|A2. 14 & under||G2. 14 & under||M2. All ages|
|A3. 18 & under||G3. 18 & under|
|A4. Over 18||G4. Over 18||PERCUSSION|
|N1. 14 & under|
|WOODWIND||WOODWIND||N2. All ages|
|B1. 10 & under||H1. 10 & under|
|B2. 14 & under||H2. 14 & under||GUARD|
|B3. 18 & under||H3. 18 & under||O1. 14 & under|
|B4. Over 18||H4. Over 18||O2. All ages|
|C1. 10 & under||I1. 10 & under||P1. 14 & under|
|C2. 14 & under||I2. 14 & under||P2. All ages|
|C3. 18 & under||I3. 18 & under|
|C4. Over 18||I4. Over 18||FANFARE|
|Q All ages|
|D1. 10 & under||J1. 10 & under|
|D2. 14 & under||J2. 14 & under|
|D3. 18 & under||J3. 18 & under|
|D4. Over 18||J4. Over 18|
|E1. 10 & under||K1. 10 & under|
|E2. 14 & under||K2. 14 & under|
|E3. 18 & under||K3. 18 & under|
|E4. Over 18||K4. Over 18|
|F1. 10 & under||L1. 10 & under|
|F2. 14 & under||L2. 14 & under|
|F3. 18 & under||L3. 18 & under|
|F4. Over 18||L4. Over 18|
- This is a showcase for members of marching bands in the UK. Marching bands do not need to be members of BYBA or TYMBA to participate.
- All competitors must be bona-fide members of the organisation or ensemble that they represent.
- The minimum age for a competing member is six. There is no maximum age.
- Age is the competitor’s age on 31 August 2020. This is to facilitate ensembles within one school year.
- A competitor may enter as many categories as they wish, but may only enter once in each category.
- All entries must be made on the official entry form, which should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Ensembles must have a minimum of four members. There is no maximum limit. Ensembles may have a conductor.
- ‘Wind’ categories can be brass, woodwind or a combination of brass and woodwind.
- ‘Percussion’ categories can be drums, tuned percussion or a combination of tuned and untuned percussion.
- ‘Fanfare’ may include two optional percussionists, a conductor and can include timpani and handheld cymbals.
- ‘Mixed ensembles’ may include any combination of brass, woodwind and percussion
- ‘Entertainment’ is open to anyone of any age and to any size of group. There are no restrictions on what may be performed.
- The organisers reserve the right to combine similar categories if there are insufficient entrants. Affected entrants will be informed in advance.
- Backing tracks can be used in all categories.
- The minimum length of performance is 1 minute.
- The maximum length of performance is 4 minutes.
- The BYBA ‘Young Guard Performer of the Year’ trophy will be awarded. The winner will be identified by the Judging Panel from the Individual Guard Category.
- The event will conclude with the BYBA ‘Young Musician of the Year’ contest. Entrants will be identified by the Judging Panel from Individual Brass, Woodwind, Drums and Mallets categories (excluding the over 18 category) . The winner will be identified by a combined Judging Panel covering each of the categories.
- Wind and percussion entrants will be judged on a) content and b) achievement.
- Guard entrants will be judged on a) design and b) performance.
- ‘Entertainment’ will be judged by a panel made up of audience members.
- There is no charge for entering the National Individuals and Ensembles Competition this year.