The Marie Leighton-Morgan Award
Earlier this year we lost a judge, instructor, friend and supporter, Marie Leighton-Morgan. Marie stood for many things, but most importantly she was passionate about our activity. In her honour, her husband Paul Morgan has asked BYBA to make an annual award to be presented at national championships. It consists of an engraved trophy and a small replica trophy for the winner to keep.
In this inaugural year the award will be decided by the BYBA member Bandmasters and Corps Directors who will each make a nomination and then vote for their preferred nominee. No one can vote for their own nominee.
There is no age restriction for this award. Nominees must be bona fide members of a BYBA member unit. Nominations should simply explain how the nominee matches Marie’s core values of:
- Perseverance – they never give up
- Respect – they show respect to others regardless of ability
- Attention to detail – they want to get it right
- Passion – they show their passion for music, for dance, for performing, or for banding in general
- Opportunity – they give others the opportunity to succeed regardless of background
Nomination forms should be completed and sent to firstname.lastname@example.org by midday Tuesday 2 October and voting complete by midday Friday 5 October.
You should speak to your Corps Director or Bandmaster if you wish to put someone forward for this award as only they can make nominations in this inaugural year.